Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Decorating with pine cones


There are many ways you can decorate pine cones to add to your holiday decor. These are just a few ideas and also a fun project to do with your kids or a friend....from going outdoors and collecting them, to bringing them into your warm home to decorate and sit down with a nice cup of hot chocolate!

(Just a little tidbit....I recently was on a trip and wanted a cup of hot chocolate on a cold night and only had limited ingredients on hand, but I made the best hot chocolate ever.

1 cup milk
2 dark chocolate truffles
1-2 packets of sugar in the raw

Just heat in the microwave  30 seconds at a time and keep stirring in between until chocolate is melted and hot!

 Back to decorating holiday pine cones..




For glitter pine cones, use a brush to paint craft glue on the pine cones either on the ends only or the entire cone (I used Mod Podge, but any thick craft glue is ok). Next, sprinkle with glitter. A fine glitter gives it a more elegant look, but you can use any type of glitter. Have fun using any color or several colors in a grouping.





Another option is spray painting your pine cones. Gold and silver are great colors, but don't be afraid to try other bold colors. Red, green and white are also great choices too for the holidays. Pine cones are not just for Christmas decorations, so why not use them all year round to display in a glass bowl or basket. Choose colors to match your decor. Gold is one of my favorite and I use for all seasons!



Bleached pine cones have more of a "beachy" appearance to me and also takes a little more time to achieve the final look. I soaked them in a container filled with bleach for a couple of hours and let dry for several days. The pine cones will close up after they have soaked in the bleach and as they dry out, they will begin to open. Too much trouble for me...I still like the gold ones!



And of course, the Natural look pine cones. Just do nothing or spray a little clear lacquer paint on them. Bring nature into to your home with beautiful pine cones that you can decorate many different ways and best of all, it is very inexpensive to do!...Gold is still my favorite!

8 comments:

  1. I am all about pine cones this Christmas...the bleached ones are great! I'm going to try this...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and hope they work out well for you!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE pinecones, and I love how you've blinged yours up :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just set up my tree and added the bleached and gold pine cones in it. I decorated my tree this year with the burlap "Rustic" look. Hope you are having fun decorating!
      Judy

      Delete
  3. Hola cómo ago para que mis piñas dé pino abran en su toratotal

    ReplyDelete
  4. we will not succumb to pure evil- we will not go out dead in a dark night. This Means war!=======Give bunny a 3 mile nature park all for him/her self How about 3 warm cabin shaks cut a big hole on the 3 doors ===Put 3 large jacket/coats clothing items in each shak. The small wild animal said. "You cant take the sky from me" Rush to help rabbit pets now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of the interesting comments and suggestions. Carry on......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obrigada querida, por compartilhar o seu conhecimento.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you with any comments!